Friday, January 27, 2012

reform

A friend of mine recently introduced a resource to me called Parenting by design. I've tried a few christian parenting books, but they haven't been very effective for a two year old. This one is different. I've only looked on their site and read a few articles which have already been so insightful. In my immediate season my main issues have been mainly me. I've been grumpy or moody and impatient. I've responded in anger. I've thrown fits during her fits. I have been the rebellious child, and through it all my heavenly Father has patiently walked beside me. He's encouraged me, given me things to strengthen my heart and an unlimited supply of grace each day. His walking with me and being tender with my heart has been the perfect model. In fact, this method suggests He is the perfect model and stresses prayer. It mentions your child will react to how you react. And we all know the verse that says, "Fathers do not exasperate your children so they will not lose heart." I have been exasperating mine. I fear she's been losing heart.  There are different ways we parent ... without going into the different categories we fall in (check it out) I've stepped back and noticed before I can expect change in her, I need to change myself. I love her. This vibrant little person of joy and personality who makes me laugh and melt at the same time. Ultimately? I need Christ to be formed in me before I can expect it in her. Out of the overflow of my heart my mouth speaks. Also, this girl is two. Mmhm. She will make mistakes. She is in a journey of learning consequences and how to live with the decisions she makes. The question is, am I willing to walk beside her in love? In empathy while I teach/train her? Am I going to speak words of life and love and impart courage to her little heart? I don't want her to feel like I'm always correcting her or that she's doing things wrong all the time, even if she does, I want her to see me walking beside her. Never leaving her or forsaking her. Never giving up on her. And still speaking life and words that will motivate her to walk them out fully. I've been experimenting and when I speak words of life, joy and delight over her....she changes. She becomes what I speak, almost. And my tone? She matches it. There is so much influence we have over them, and a lot of our day begins with whats happening in our hearts. So feed your hearts my friends. Feed on Jesus. A man who is so alive and so ready to help those who ask. A man who empathizes with our weaknesses and who champions us on. Fill your mind and hearts with his words and watch as you begin to see Christ formed on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment