Friday, September 10, 2010

daily rhythm

Rhythm. An interesting word. I've learned I'm a random personality, the opposite of my husband, the analytical personality. You can imagine my idea of a schedule or daily rhythm. I don't plan as well as I should. For instance, my husband calling me from work, "So, what's the plan for dinner? Silence. Do you have anything planned...I mean, you're planning, right?" Of course, I always manage to get a hot meal on the table in time, but I do wait til the last minute. Until recently, my thrifty and incredibly wise husband suggested I plan the meals throughout the week, (I had gotten off track) and make a list so I cut down on trips to the store and stick to our budget. It's working great. Until I find a project like painting my daughters room light green to make it more sunny feeling. Or making an art project, handmade somthing that will absolutely have to be done immediatley because it's going to consume me til its done. It's priority. Mhmm. Over let's say, dishes, or making that important phone call or setting up an appointment. I make a list, then throw it out the window at the last minute. Hopeless? Not entirely. Random. So, that brings me full circle to rhythm. Rhythm in the home for my toddler. We have our routine and this week I've made it more detailed. Each morning we wake, eat breakfast, I clean up dishes while she finishes, then we play. Then she naps. I've designated Tues as creative day where we finger paint and create art. Wednsdays are busy for me so we make it a reading day/snuggle on the couch look at books day. Or visit the library. Thursday is focused on worship. We dance and sing. And Friday is our outing day in the great outdoors enjoying nature and sunshine. This is just a rough outline for the main activity for the day. Then the same routine for dinner and after dinner we clean up the toys, put on pajamas, brush teeth, read a book together/pray and put her to bed. She thrives on routine! It'll be fun to see if she remembers what days are for what. What are your routines?

No comments:

Post a Comment